What to Do If Your Pet is Stung

Dog happily running through flower field

Dogs and Bee Stings: What to Do If Your Pet is Stung

Taking the time to stop and smell the roses (or any flowers) can lead to a painful experience for your dog if a bee happens to be hovering nearby. Although bee stings certainly aren't comfortable, they usually don't cause severe allergic reactions in dogs. If your pooch does encounter a stinging bee or wasp this spring or summer, these steps can help soothe the pain.

Remove the Stinger

Honeybees leave their stingers behind when they sting. In fact, venom continues to enter your pet's body for several minutes after a sting unless you remove the stinger. Don't use your fingers to pull out the stinger, as you may accidentally force more venom into your pet's skin. Instead, gently scrape the stinger off with the edge of a credit card and wash the skin with warm soapy water.

If you can't locate the stinger, give your furry friend a bath instead. Bathing can help dislodge the stinger and help soothe the skin.

Treat Pain and Swelling

Cold compresses offer a simple way to reduce pain, redness, or swelling. Cold washcloths, freezer gel packs, ice in a resealable bag, or bags of frozen vegetables make good compresses. If you use a frozen compress, be sure to wrap it in a towel to prevent frostbite. Leave the compress in place as long as your dog will allow but for no more than 20 minutes at a time.

After a few minutes of cold compress therapy, most dogs will feel much better and won't require additional treatment.

Oral Benadryl can also be helpful in reducing swelling. Before you offer your furry friend the over-the-counter medication, ask the veterinarian if it's a good idea. Since pets require different dosages than humans, you'll want to be sure to give the veterinarian a call.

Recognize Danger Signs

Signs of a possible allergic reaction may include:

  • Pale Gums
  • Vomiting
  • Hives
  • Lack of Energy
  • Severe Swelling
  • Difficulty Breathing
  • Collapse

If you notice any of these signs, take your dog to the veterinarian immediately. Visit your local emergency clinic if the vet's office happens to be closed when the sting occurs.

Once your dog arrives at the office or clinic, he or she may be treated with injected Benadryl, fluids, and steroids. Your pet may need to stay at the vet's office for a few days while he or she recovers.

Problems can also occur if your dog is stung by a bee or wasp in the nose, mouth, or throat. Although your pet may not be allergic to bees or wasps, stings in these sensitive areas can cause swelling that partially or fully blocks airways, making breathing difficult. Severe swelling in the mouth, nose, throat or neck warrants an emergency trip to the veterinarian.

How to Prevent Bee Stings

You may not be able to prevent all stings, but there are a few things you can do to lessen the chance your dog will get stung. We suggest:

  • Checking for Hives and Nests: Dogs are curious by nature and don't understand it's not a good idea to poke their noses in beehives or wasps' nests. Even if your pet isn't usually allergic to stings, being stung many times can expose him or her to large amounts of venom that can cause a severe reaction. Check the nooks and crannies of your property weekly for signs of hive or nest building. If you do notice hives or nests, remove them promptly or ask a professional exterminator for help.
  • Limiting Exposure: If your dog can't reach flowering plants, he or she is less likely to be stung. Keep flowering plants in your yard behind fences and dissuade your pet from sniffing plants when you're out for a walk.
  • Removing Food Promptly: After you enjoy a meal on your deck or patio, cover or remove leftovers as soon as possible. Since bees are particularly attracted to sugary foods and beverages, keeping them out-of-reach can help protect your family and your pets from painful stings.

Bee or wasp stings are little more than a minor, but temporarily painful, nuisance for most dogs. If your pet displays any of the signs mentioned above, or you're concerned about his or her symptoms, call us immediately.

Sources:

PetMD: So Your Dog Has Been Stung by a Honeybee

https://www.petmd.com/dog/so-your-dog-has-been-stung-honeybee

Texas A&M University: Protecting Your Pets from Killer Bees, 7/16/15

http://vetmed.tamu.edu/news/pet-talk/protecting-your-pets-from-killer-bees

Hills: How to Handle Your Dogs Bee or Wasp Sting

https://www.hillspet.com/dog-care/routine-care/what-to-do-when-wasp-bee-sting-dog

Sign up to contact us to schedule an appointment!

I am currently away on Maternity leave and not taking appointments. Sorry for any inconvenience!

Location

Find us on the map

Testimonials

Read What Our Clients Say

  • "May 11, 2016

    I would highly recommend Vet to Pet and Dr. Jamie Tudor. In our family, our feline friends are our kids and Dr. Tudor always goes out of her way to give our family the best available care and treatment. Last year we had to say goodbye to our 17 year old cat and Dr. Tudor let him die with dignity as Blackie passed away surrounded by his family in the comfort of his own home."
  • "We still have 3 remaining cats and Dr. Tudor saved our fifteen year old girl as she was in stage 3 kidney failure. That was 2 years ago and our Princess is still going strong as ever because Dr.Tudor began treatment immediately. As a result Princess is her happy old self and is thriving at almost 17."
  • "In January of this year, our 6 year old boy Wally became deathly lethargic and began to drink a lot more water than usual. He had also lost a significant amount of weight in less than 2 months. Again, because of Dr. Tudor’s quick response, we found out that our Wally has Stage 2 Diabetes, insulin required. Since treatment in January, Wally is a thriving young 6 year old again and the overall treatment itself (Blood tests, urine tests, etc.) was a roller coaster emotionally and financially, but Dr. Tudor was there for us and Wally the whole time. The initial costs were definitely worth it as Wally is back to his crazy, wild self, and we hope that someday Wally will be in Remission."
  • "Our cats are healthy and alive because of our family Vet. Words alone can never express our heartfelt appreciation that we have for Dr. Jamie Tudor. She even texts us…how many Dr’s actually text their clients?! I wish everyone could be as lucky as us to have such an amazing Vet. From all of us, we say Thank You Dr. Tudor and we are happy that you are a part of our family."
    DeLee Mahoney, Blackie, Princess, Wally & Lola

Featured Articles

Read about interesting topics

Newsletter Signup

Sign up for more articles